Thursday, September 6, 2012

To watch her grow, is my responsibility.


                  Recently, almost a month ago, i started teaching tuition. First was a girl called Yi Hui, currently primary 1, absolutely intelligent girl and pretty. She is such a joy to teach and i look forward to every session with her. Making lessons enjoyable and fun is my aim in every session. I enjoy making her learn in the fun way. And i believe at the same time, God is teaching me. I used to be that innocent girl, that 7 year old girl who thought that i could conquer the world. Now i see the girl i use to be right in front of my eyes. She doesnt know God, neither did i at that point of time. And whenever i look at her, i think back at the time when i was in her shoes. When 50+31 seemed like the hardest equation. And i miss her. I miss that girl who used to ask why about every single thing, the girl who need not worry, the girl who was mummy's little girl, the girl who was innocently happy. Yap, so its joy teaching Yi Hui because kids at her age are soo.... simple.
              Then came girl number 2, who i only started about 2 weeks ago. Her name is Yan Zi. She is 7 years old currently, but she is different in some ways. She is Dyslexic. And that brought a burden on my heart that i had to help her. She is unique in her own ways and she makes me smile almost all the time. Patience is all that is needed for her to learn and of course attention. She has been through quite alot for a kid of her age. And whenever i think about her, i knew God had a reason to send me there to teach her. Its not easy to teach her, but its not impossible. And i know that if i give up on her, many others would too. So i thought about it, and i wanna make a small difference in her life. Teaching her is fun because she can get goofy in her own little and be so so happy about it. When she smiles at little things even a fly, i smile too. Because i realised that as a 19 year old, many a times i forget the simplicity of having joy. And when i spend time with her, it seems to come back to me all the time. I teach her english and its constantly a challenge for me to go beyond just assessment books and mundane materials. But even through all that, I find it so fulfilling to know that i make a little difference in her life. I wouldnt stop trying because i wanna see her grow.
                Tuition has been one of the items on my schedule that takes up alot of time. Every weekday night i have tuition. Its tiring, yes, but its fulfilling. And so i thank God everyday for the opportunity for me to teach these two girls. Because they widen my horizon bout the world.
               This year, i got my first teacher's present and it felt good knowing that someone out there appreciates your effort. (:

Ever thankful,
Van
               

No comments:

Post a Comment